Dec 1, 2018
In this Silver Lining Moments episode, I speak with Eddie
Cheyfitz and Katie Eichenhauer of Believe in Dreams. A
Silver Lining Moment includes lessons learned. Here are some
of the lessons (Silver Lining Moments) I learned from my
conversation with Eddie and Katie:
- Good, kind, and uplifting people are all around us…perhaps even
sitting at the next table over at Starbucks, which is how I met
- People like helping others and doing good. Eddie shared how
businesses who helped fulfill a child’s dream were enriched by the
- It is okay to receive support. When we are supported, we can
achieve so much!
- In the first few years of Believe in Dreams, Katie was working
as a social worker and volunteering with Believe in Dreams while
having 3 young children. She acknowledged “I have a lot of
- John DiJulius III received support from family, friends and his
community when he was a child and his father left his family.
- John and his son Cal received support from family, friends, and
their community which helped them heal from the death of John’s
wife, Cal’s mother.
- Believing in someone and letting them know they count empowers.
Showing children that we believe in them and care about them, and
giving them access to support and to opportunities for healing and
hope can change their life paths.
- The loss of a loved one can have many silver linings.
- It can be the birth of something new like Believe in Dreams.
After the death of his mother, Cal and John talked about how they
could help other children who do not have the same support and
opportunities they have. Their family including Eddie and Katie
came together and helped build their vision into Believe in Dreams,
which has helped over 100 children so far.
- The pain we feel and the healing we experience opens our heart
where compassion grows.
- Loved ones come together. Their love is expanded.
Something to think about
Katie and Eddie shared how support from others was vital for
their success and for Believe in Dreams. Yet, sometimes our culture
takes great pride in doing things all by ourselves and being
self-made. Does this limit our ability to reach our highest and
fullest potential? Does this way of thinking rob us of our
As you go about today
Without DOING anything more, without ADDING anything else to
your to-do list, simply bring your mind and your heart awareness
- There are lot of people who are doing good things and being
kind. When you go shopping and you see crowds or lines, say – wow,
look at all this goodness. Imagine what good things they are
- The loss of a loved one is lined with Silver Lining Moments.
When you think of a loved one who is no longer with you, feel his
or her love, just sit with this love. Think of how you can expand
this love in your life.
- Ask yourself - How can I support someone today? How can I
receive support from someone today? Sometimes, it’s as simple
as a smile --to someone, from someone.
To learn more about Believe in Dreams or to see how you support
their mission to fulfill dreams for resilient children, see
My warmest thanks to Katie and Eddie for taking the time to
speak with me and for expanding love and light in our world, one
story at a time, one person a time, one Silver Lining Moment at a
By Katie and Eddie sharing, and by you listening, together we
are expanding love and light:
One Person at a Time
One Story at a Time
One Silver Lining Moment at a